A Discussion on Various Types of Therm-x Temperature Sensors
Accurate temperature measurement is one of the important requirements in various industries. For instance, maintaining a particular temperature is essential in food and drug processing applications, as well as several industrial applications. In these processes, the measurement of the temperature is performed using various types of temperature sensors such as RTD sensor probes, thermistors, and thermocouples. These devices are designed tproduce electrical signals in accordance with temperature changes. Owing tincreasing dependence on accurate temperature sensors, today, you can easily find them in the market from different global manufacturers. Therm-x is one of the important manufacturers of temperature sensors in the US. Are you intrigued tknow everything about these sensors and their benefits in industrial applications? This post will help you understand the same.
Types of Temperature Sensors Provided by Therm-x
Therm-x specializes in manufacturing and supplying various types of standard and OEM temperature sensors. Customers can avail the following temperature sensors in standard and customized designs
- Thermocouples: These devices feature wires made of twdissimilar metals. The wires are joined together tform a hot and a cold junction. The hot junction is used for measurement, whereas the cold junction is usually connected ta measurement device such as a digital indicator or controller. The device produces a measurement signal in reference tthe difference between the reference and measurement junctions. Therm-x provides mineral insulated thermocouples (MI) thermocouples, where matched thermocouple wires are surrounded by insulating material. Typically, magnesium oxide is used as an insulating material. These thermocouple sensors are used under severe conditions, and they are capable of withstanding temperatures up ttheir melting points. MI thermocouples are provided in a wide range of diameters, and they can withstand external pressures up t50,000 PSI.
The company provides the following types of thermocouple sensors made of different alloys:
- Type E: Chromel and Constantan
- Type J: Iron and Constantan
- Type K: Chromel and Alumel
- Type N: Nisil and Nicrosil
- Type T: Copper and Constantan
- Type B: BP/BN
- Type C: CP/CN
- R/S: RP/RN
- Resistance Temperature Detectors (RTDs): These comprise element wires wrapped around a glass or ceramic core. RTDs measure temperature by correlating the RTD element’s resistance with the temperature. Most RTDs are made using platinum, owing tthe accuracy of 0.1 t1 °C that it assures over a broad range of temperatures -200°C t600 °C. Therm-x provide RTDs in various tolerances such as Class A, B, and 1/3 DIN. The company alsprovides RTD probes in various configurations. Higher accuracies can be provided on request. These RTD probes often find application in various industrial applications.
- Thermistors: These are thermally sensitive devices that exhibit a predictable, large, and precise change in resistance, owing tthe change in temperature. Normally, negative temperature coefficient (NTC) thermistors are used for temperature measurement. In these devices, the resistance increases at low temperatures, and vice-versa. The change in resistance is reflected fast in NTC thermistors, and they assure high accuracy of 0.05 t1.5 °C. Thermistors provide effective service in the temperature range -50 t250 °C. Therm-x provides thermistors at different power resistances.
After knowing about these products, you may think why to order from Therm-x? The next post will discuss the advantages of outsourcing your temperature sensor designing to Therm-x